THE MOVIEGOER

At the U.T.

It's the open season for cuckoos at the U.T. with Buck Benny rioting again, and this time he doesn't riot alone. Fred Allen, his neolithic nemesis, is present to exchange verbal brickbats with the Winnetka wise guy in one of the best light musicals for many a month. It seems that Mary Martin is Allen's niece, and Beny doesn't know that. She's also the star of Benny's show, and Uncle Allen doesn't know that. In the resultant tempest, Fred keeps losing his temper, Jack loses his shirt, and Mary shows them all up by losing her skirt. (Incidentally, it's a mighty nice cart that belong to Daddy.) Per usual, Rochester and Virginia steal the show. The dusky Juliet tolerates no playing around on her balcony after learning that Rochester has been elected star Romeo by all the ebony maidens of the Social and Come-What-May Club at Stratford on the Harlem. But the Willkie voiced butler reaches Virginia's over Shakespeare's dead body to provide a half-dozen of the most hilarious stunts in a film where nearly everything goes on and nearly as much comes off.

Second feature, "Angles Over Broadway," is a Saroyanesque romance-a drama of strange but real little folk lost in the depths of the big city. The characters are a grifter, a cafe entertainer, a drunken Pulitzer Prize playwright, and a thief, all thrown together by accident. Doug Fairbanks, Jr. as the ex-bellhop sucker-plucker and Rita Hayworth as the girl who graduated from the gutter give convincing performances in the romantic leads. And Thomas Mitchell does as fine a job with his role of the universal friend in need as Eddie Dowling did in the almost identical role in "Time of Your Life." The plot revolves around an attempt to exploit the exploiters by winning from the runners of a dishonest poker game enough to keep an embezzling clerk from committing suicide. Though he let things slow down a bit too much in spots. Director Ben Hecht has here found the ideal substitute for standard boy meets girl second feature-a simple drama with simple characters, skillfully cast and superbly photographed.