THE PLAYGOER

At the Colonial

When two big names like Vinton Freedley and Cole Porter appear on the same showbill, people expect more than just a good show; they crowd to see one of the season's "hits." With a little more cutting and polishing "Let's Face It" should be one of the season's hits, but it is more than the work of Messrs. Freedley and Porter which promises to make it so. Admitting that the lines, music, casting and chorus work are all good, it's the punch of a young lad named Danny Kaye which furnishes most of the "hitting."

Cole Porter's music is fresh, above the average of musical revues; but a little below the Cole Porter average. Except for "Jerry, My Soldier Boy," none of his latest edition is likely to sell near the number of sheets "Let's Be Buddies" sold this last year. The book has been written with a fair share of inspiration and wit, capitalizes fully upon the current popularity of the defense theme, spends its best moments in a draftee barracks. And it's Danny Kaye's work as Jerry, the rookie, which makes these moments really good. As a singer who can act or an actor who can sing, whichever way you prefer, Danny is a winning combination. His personality and pantomime hold the center of the stage from curtain to curtain, and put over the last number, "Melody in 4F," with a climaxing smash which should keep the wolf away from the box office door for a long season.

Don't get the idea Danny is the only one in the cast. Eve Arden does a creditable job of cracking lines and is very definitely in place all through the show. Mary Walsh is better than good as Jerry's finance, and stands out singing "Jerry, My Soldier Boy." Most of the other supporters are adequate; in fact, Mr. Freedley seems to have had so much talent on hand that he has had to go to discordant lengths to work in a pair of good dancers, whose dances simply don't fit. Subtraction of such superfluities will make "Let's Face It" much easier to face; and as is it's plenty O'Kaye.