MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the water, will names be withheld. Only letters under 400 words can be printed because of space limitations.)

To the Editor of the Crimson:

Your argument against American aid to the Allies in Friday's editorial carries the seeds of its own destruction. On the one hand, you are willing to gamble on the chance of an Allied victory without our aid. And on the other, you think we can at the same time "extend democracy to every American" and "make this hemisphere impregnable."

Let us weigh these arguments again. By extending our economic aid to the Allies, we make an Allied victory more certain, and we lessen our chances of entering the war. It is only when the Allies are in danger of disastrous rout that the full forces of pro-war pressure will be unleashed. Only in this way can our impartial voice have a right to be heard in the peace treaty which will mold the future of the world.

On the other side we see a German victory. Though some time may be required for recuperation, the spread of Fascism will continue. Italy, Russia, and Japan are potential German allies; Britain and France may be only her slaves. You have already painted the picture of America in such a world "developing the navy, the air force, anti-aircraft protection," and so on, till we had turned ourselves into an armed camp.

And what would become of democracy in such an America? Already we are hearing cries of "throwing overboard the luxury of social security in order to finance our defense." Let us insure ourselves before disaster strikes; let us give our economic aid to the forces of stability while there is yet time. William B. Shallck '41.