THE PLAYGOER

At the Shubert Theatre

With all the trappings of a $3.30 musical--band, jokes and fifteen beautiful girls fifteen--Dante has brought his bagful of tricks to Boston and provided the most astounding two and one half hours this side of New York.

Least anyone forget (and he will remind you himself) Dante is the one and only and rightful successor, to the long line of Kellers and Thurstons. Not only is his wizardry completely baffling even to the wiseguys in the first row, but Dante has the knack of setting off each illusion with settings as grandiose as Little Egypt or Barnum and Breley. "Sim Sala Bim" is not just a series of card tricks but a continuous spectacle. One minute Dante draws gallos of beer from a dry keg, the next he is producing ghosts from empty cabinets and making one of his chorus (let's call it a chorus) girls vanish into thin air.

Dante is not the old-style of magician who merely palms cards. Although he proudly boasts there isn't a blush in his show, Dante himself has a captivating stage personality and with a slight change of subject matter could fit well into a "Panama Hattie." Of course there are bound to be slow moments (like the finale which features Uncle Sam and a blonde subbing for the Statue of Liberty), but you will never be able to forget, that you are watching the world's greatest magician.