MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld. Only letters under 400 words can be printed because of space limitations.)

To the Editor of the Crimson:

The increase in dining hall rates in the Houses for next year was a foregone conclusion after the new union wage agreement.

The University has the whip-hand on the students. Increase wages, increase prices for meals, let the students pay. It seems to bad that a representative group of students, for example, the committee of House chairmen, could not have at least been present at the union vs. University discussions.

It is difficult, however, to see how the University will be able to hold students to next year's room contracts signed before the meal rate rise. Approximately half of this year's Freshman class are on some sort of scholarship or doing some sort of work toward room and board. On the ten and fourteen meal contracts the new rates are more than double outside restaurants, and on the twenty one meal contracts they are still exorbitantly high. It may well be doubted if the dining halls are being run on a reasonable basis from the students' point of view. Cleveland Amory '39.