The Moviegoer

AT KEITH'S MEMORIAL

When Hollywood develops a habit, nor life, nor death, nor things present, nor things to come . . . nor any other creature shall be able to separate it from the love of making that one sort of picture. The latest fad is drama filmed in the throbbing heart of India, replete with blood-thirsty native revolutionaries and Oxford accented imperialists. "Gunga Din," which begins its regular run at Keith's today, is the most recent piece de resistance.

But "Gunga Din" is an excellent film. Thoroughly as exciting and far more skillfully made than any of its predecessors, it adds to the usual story of native uprisings constant suspense, some rollicking humor, and incidentally an interesting characterization of Kipling's immortal water boy. Battling a band of natives who worship the goddess of blood and show their devotion by strangling some thirty thousand persons a year, are Cary Grant, Victor McLaglen, and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. These men engage in the usual pitched battles, of course, but this time skill and originality of direction make them more than mere spectacles; and more important, the leads take time out now and then for delightful humorous escapades.

To top off a good program, the management has added three new Disney cartoons, including "Mother Goose Goes Hollywood." Among other things, it shows Katherine Hepburn as Little Bo Peep, and should certainly not be missed.