THE VAGABOND

"The majority of French opinion...is inclined to regard the Versailles Peace, in retrospect, as too mild, rather than too harsh, and to demand that the present war shall be followed by a peace which would completely eliminate any possibility of a revival of German military power."

These words, from the reliable typewriter of William Henry Chamberlin, Christian Science Monitor Paris correspondent, have given the Vagabond pause. With other students, he has tried to believe that this war is a moral crusade, to be followed by the construction of a better Europe--if the Allies win. He has tried, in spite of his logic, his common sense, and his knowledge of history. But the facts, and especially this early dispatch from Paris, have proved disillusioning.

About one hundred years old, Vag reflected, is the spirit of German unity. Writers had preceded the 30s, to be sure, and students in the radical universities had given Metternich many a violent headache with their liberal ideas; but only then did they begin to succeed in their boring from within. They succeeded, ideologically; but not in 1830, nor even in 1848, did the Reich become a reality. Not until 1852, when a pilot with ideals of blood and iron took over. And not until 18 years later, when the Prussian army marched into Paris....

Over France today is the spectre of another march on Paris, another siege, another occupation. Worse still, there is peril from the air. But a "peace" worse than Versailles? Excusable, under any circumstances? Practical? Suddenly Vag decided to brush up on his background facts, and resolved to go to Harvard 6 this noon to hear Donald C. McKay on "Bismarck and the Unification of Germany."