Swing

Interesting was it to notice that at his record- autographing session at the Minute Man shop yesterday, Woody Herman had a larger audience than did Benny Goodman last year at Widener Library. In fact, two or three of the country's dance band leaders who also specialize in playing clarinet could afford to take lessons from Woody in the art of handling people.

Mostly true: Jesse Stacy, former Goodman ace, is joining Bob Crosby to take over piano duties, Joe Sullivan retiring for another vacation . . . Singer Bob Eberle is leaving Jimmy Dorsey to go with Bobby Byrn's new band. But both will remain with Dorsey for the time being. . . Artie Shaw's huffiness about having to use jitterbug terms in his MGM picture strengthens the impression that he has gone highhat. So do the three law suits he is involved in right now for having made himself generally obnoxious, the worst offence being at the Canadian National Exposition when he arrived three hours late, and upon being gently reminded of that fact, said, "You ought to be damn glad I got here at all, you chiseling bastards!" . . . The whole industry's going slightly crazy on the idea of electricity since Leopold Stokowski brought forth the idea of an electric symphony orchestra . . . Everything from individual amplification to bands made up of all-electrical instruments is being tried. Leading the band wagon is Barry Wagner of New York, who has a great many of his ideas patented . . . Mannie Klein, star trumpet player, has his lips insured for $100,000 by Lloyd's of London--and carries around the policy to prove it . . . Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" is selling well and is a very good disc. Incidentally, try anybody on the last chorus who prides himself on being a crack dancer--it is just a wee bit difficult . . . Jimmy Dorsey's record of "Body and Soul" pretty definitely proves Bob Eberle to be the best male band singer in the country . . . "Melancholy Lullaby" by the same outfit is ok, although the Benny Carter version (Vocalion) is better. Helen O'Connell's singing sounds much better. Incidentally, the three items this column picked last year were Miss O'Connell, Woody Herman, and Jimmy Dorsey. The first has been getting more publicity than any other singer in the business. Woody is certainly on his way up, and Jimmy has been cracking records all over the East, his latest being at Atlantic City . . . Duke Ellington has a clever military takeoff in "The Sergeant Was Shy" . . . Watch out for some of these new Lionel Hampden records: they're going to have a sax section of Coleman Hawkins, Benny Carter, Ben Webster, and Chu Berry. Three of them are considered the greatest in the world on their instruments, and Ben Webster isn't any slouch . . . Alee Templeton's two records for Victor are two of the most amazing I have ever heard. You try and imitate what occurs when you twist the dial very rapidly on a new radio--sounds silly as hell, but "Man With a New Radio" is still very funny-- as is "And the Angels Sing"--done in the best grand opera tradition . . . Ten years ago: Lobe, the dog, was the star attraction with the Horace Heidt orchestra . . . Sacramento, Cal.: The Superior Court held a Sacramento city ordinance prohibiting music of any kind after 11 p.m. unconstitutional! No local reference needed.