CONTROL KICKING NEW TOUCHDOWN STRATEGY

Accuruin Punting Biggest Revolution Since Forward Pass Claims Murray, Former Penn Grid Star

"Control kicking" is football's newest touchdown trick and the most "revolutionary development in the game since the birth of the forward pass" according to Franny Murray, gridiron star, who gives the details of coffin corner kicking today in an article in the Saturday Evening Post.

Murray developed "sly own subpar average of thirty-two yards to fifty-six yards for Pennsylvania's traditional closing game with Cornell in 1935" and adds that this phenomenal 75 per cent increase "stemmed from one three-hour emergency session".

"Once coaches stop treating kicking as football's stepchild, control will be commonplace" the article says.

"Coaches mean over 7-6 defeats, yet Mills' training enabled me to kick twenty-two out of twenty-five points after touchdown in 1936" Murray says. "Last fall ninety-eight games were lost by this one-point margin, and countless others were decided on faulty punting. Unless coaches wake up, 1939 will be no different.

"Mills had no secret formula. Everything he worked out could be discovered by an alert coach. He had what most of them lack--real enthusiasm for punting. Of course control has always been sought. Stagg, Yost, Percy Haughton of Harvard, all were aware of the importance of kicking. Mills' contribution was scientific. What he was after and what he perfected was the return-proof kick," Murray claims.

"Many coaches merely pray for clear weather instead of being prepared for rain with a weapon which clicks any day. Rain jeopardizes passes, mud curtails fancy running plays, but kicking rises in effectiveness in bad weather. Teams must kick twice as often in bad weather and better kicking wins in the mud."