The Crimson Moviegoer

Dolores Del Rio Returns to Action in Plotless, Entertaining Drama Of Far Eastern Battle

As anyone will see, who cares to spend two and a half enjoyable hours at RKO Boston, Dolores Del Rio is back in circulation, more beautiful and versatile than ever. The picture which brings her back. "International Settlement," is trivial enough; it is a by-product of the excess footage news-reel crews brought back from China, and in noted for its phenomenal lack of anything resembling a plot. But it stars Miss Del Rio and it is a good picture.

The story, such as it is, concerns an international munitions king who employs a soldier of fortune as his go-between in China because he learns that the daughter of a Nicaraguan official whom he has murdered is living in Shanghai.

George Sanders, as the soldier of fortune, is a severe disappointment, and serves only to focus attention on Miss Del Rio, who has been permitted variations on her old role as the femme fatale. She is hown consorting with sinister Orientals, attempting to shoot Mr. Sanders down in cold blood, driving about Shanghai in a Buick cabriolet, which does credit to Director Eugene Forde and in an excellent sequence she is shown fighting her way through a terror-stricken mob during an air-raid. Perhaps the most enjoyable scene, however, is that in which she renders a blues song in a languid, husky monotone, and then proceeds to "bury the torch" in the approved Kay Thompson manner. The song is mediocre, but Miss Del Rio makes the very most of it, and the same may be said for the picture as a whole.

The B picture which completes the program stars Preston Foster and a beautiful inconnue named Whitney Bourne in another 20th Century-Fox picture, "Double Danger." The hero and heroine are highly respectable jewel thieves, and when the picture opens they are engaged in competition, although the ultimate merger does not come as a complete surprise. The strength of the picture lies in the ingenious methods by which priceless diamonds are successfully stolen and "high-jacked" with the utmost case. The film marks a departure from the commonplace and rounds out a bill that is entertaining, if not breath-taking.