The Moviegoer

"God's Country and the Woman" good film of Curwood's Novel in technicolor; "Sinner Take All" A Poor Second Feature

Based on the novel by James Oliver Curwood, Warner Brothers' production of "God's Country and the Woman" with George Brent in the leading role provides excellent entertainment. It is a story of the North Woods with the major part of the picture taking place in a lumber camp. George Brent plays the part of a worthless brother of a hardworking lumber executive who is stranded in the camp of the brother's chief competitor with no way out but to work. The rival company is controlled by Beverly Roberts, as rugged as the men she employs. Brent, whose entire life has been spent chasing women about Europe and this country, finds in her a stumbling block for his advances, and even when she realizes his value to her, she does not loosen.

The Wrangling between the two companies with the unscrupulous methods of the foremen in the organization of Robert Barrat. Brent's brother, produces a drama of tense action while in the background, perhaps a little too much in the background, is the romantic element.

The film is done entirely in techni-perfect, the previously annoying eye strain is pleasantly absent. So far, photographers seem to have been unable to avoid an exaggeration of color, but many of the mountain shots are exceedingly well done.

The co-feature at the University is a pseudo-detective drama called "Sinner Take All," and there is no question in this reviewer's mind as to the justice of this phrase. Sinners or anybody else can have every foot of film used in producing the atrocity. Bruce Cabot as the ace detective does a characteristic bit of ham acting, and were it not for the somewhat attractive features of Margaret Lindsay, even sinners would have no part of it.

The basis of the plot is found in the threats and subsequent murders of all but one member of one of New York's wealthiest families. Joseph Calleia gets his oar in, but he is a friendly back-stabber this time. The solution to the mystery comes with the exposure in a most unconvincing manner of the least suspected person as the murderer. The program is worth taking in, however, because the feature picture is well acted and well photographed.