THE PRESS

A NEW VENTURE IN HIGHER EDUCATION

Harvard University will inaugurate something definitely new in the field of higher education with the opening on March 1 of the Littauer School of Public Administration. The School has been made possible by a great of $2,000,000 from a distinguished benefactor of the university.

William B. Munro, Acrts '96, Harvard '01, who delivered the Alumni address at last fall's reunion, has been in charge of the organization of the preliminary session of the new school. Through this new school Harvard will "endeavor to render a real and increasing service to the cause of better governmental administration," says the Harvard Crimson.

The first session of the school will open on March 1 without students. This session will be a conference between the newly-appointed faculty of the school and some fifty government officials. The latter will advise the faculty on such questions as the scope of the curriculum, the detailed courses, the most effective methods of instruction, the nature of the instructional data, and the research program. No students will be admitted until the fall of 1938 at which time a limited number of advanced students will be enrolled. It is expected that a master's degree will be a prerequisite of admission.

High officials in all branches of public administration will visit Harvard during the exploratory sessions. The exploratory session. The Rockefeller Foundation has made a grant of $65,000 for financing the series of conferences.

The school will endeavor to provide training in public administration chiefly for graduates of law schools and technical schools and for others who have done advanced work in some special field and who desire to acquire a broad knowledge of the practical problems of government as a means of entering the public service and advancing to positions of importance in it. "The school will carefully avoid becoming a place of vocational training in the narrow sense", says the Crimson. "It will seek to provide a thorough grounding in the fundamental principles and problems of public administration without reference to the branch of the public service which its graduates may enter, although it is expected that career men on leave may orient their work more definitely than recent graduates."

Research will play an important part in the work of the school and the faculty will be relieved of heavy teaching loads in order that their research into the difficult problems of public administration may promote the well-being of the nation, the Crimson points out. Queens University Jomnal