The Moviegoer

Wonderful Singing By Lily Pons Plus Jack Oakie and Mischa Auer Offer A Top-Notch Show

Lily Pons is our favorite singer. Her voice is of surprising beauty, and it is a delight to hear her run up and down the scale and slide long and clearly on bar E. Jeannette McDonald and Grace Moore come nowhere near the charming and unaffected little French girl who sparkles in every scene like a jewel. Add Jack Oakie, Mischa Auer, and some elegant swing by Andre Kostelanetz and you've got something, "That Girl From Paris" to be exact.

Highly entertaining and occasionally hilarious, this is the first movie at the U. T. in weeks that clicks. The stale parts of the plot disappear under a thick layer of Oakieisms spiced with his fascinating drumming and pantomine by Auer. Two scenes made the critic laugh so hard that the rain shook off his hat down his neck. One is the Greek dance by the villainness on shoes whose soles Lily Pons has carefully soaped. A series of attempts by the immigration officers to find the French girl on the persons of "McLean's Wildcats" caused the second waterfall. Amid so many good scenes, the best is hard to pick, but the title probably goes to the swing version of "The Blue Danube Waltz". Nevertheless it is Lily Pons alone only who takes the picture out of the minor leagues into the big money. Let's hope she does many more.