Lining Them Up

"We really can't tell about the prospects for the fencing team," said Rene Peroy, coach. "Of course, we've lost a large number of capable fencers by graduation, and the team has had to work hard, but the prospects are not any worse than they ever were."

Seconded by Captain Edward O. Miller '37, and Joseph Levis, captain of the United States Olympic Team, Mr. Peroy continued, "Our hardest match comes up on March 6 in the Pentagonal Meet with Army, Navy, Yale, and Princeton. Our toughest competition will be with Yale, but we undoubtedly have a chance." The Pentagonal Meet will be a round-robin where every man encounters every other man. Each man is only allowed one weapon. The matches will go on all day, and probably well into the night.

A large group of Freshmen have come out for fencing this year. They number about one hundred, and represent the new interest springing up throughout the country for fencing. The Yardlings have some good material in Cranston E. Jones '40, Robert O. Miller 40, brother of the Varsity captain, and Joseph W. Goldzicher '40. Miller was formerly three weapon champion of St. Louis and Jones was captain of the Andover fencing team. On the Varsity, the important cogs are Captain Miller, New England epee team champion, William F. Gerber '38, who was runner-up in the New England foil championship, Nathaniel B. Batchelder, Jr. '39, holder of the New England sabre team championship, and Edwin S. Skinner '39.

Mr. Levis made some remarks on recent appeal of fencing to women, as several memebrs of the weaker sex were clashing swords in the adjoining room. "At first, we were afraid to have women in the sport, because we thought the public would think that the sport was becoming feminino. But with the advent of men like Coach Peroy, injecting fresh life into the game, fencing definitely changed from a soft sport with little aggressiveness, to one of severe competition, and of great masculinity. I guess that's what attracted the women."