THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld. Only letters under 400 words can be printed because of space limitations.)

To the Editor of the Crimson:

I am not able to get much satisfaction out of the recent Harvard football victory over Yale, for the reason that, in accordance with old custom, Harvard takes on a weak opponent on the Saturday before the Yale game, while Yale on that Saturday takes on a strong opponent at Princeton.

Harvard practically takes two weeks in preparing for the Yale game and in getting her team into fine physical condition for it, whereas Yale has only one week to recover from the injuries and strain of the Princeton game and to prepare for Harvard.

That is a situation which does not look right to me, and certainly reflects very little credit on Harvard. In fact, I think there would be much justification in accusing Harvard of poor sportsmanship, for which the athletic authorities are solely responsible, but I think the student body ought to agitate for a reform in this policy of taking on a "soft touch" on the Saturday prior to the Yale game, while Yale is playing a hard game with Princeton. Yours very truly,   W. M. Holden, Harvard '98.