CRIMSON PLAYGOER

Tallulah Bankhead Charms in Kelly's "Reflected Glory"; All is Hers Despite Excellent Support

"Reflected Glory" means Tallulsh Bankhead's glory reflected upon Tallulah Bankhead. Most commendably, however, Miss Bankhead's star is made to shine, not through the familiar expedient of excluding capable support, but rather through the skillful writing of George Kelly, with the maximum of adaptation to the peculiar talents of a peculiar artist. The actress is cast as an actress, and that leads to all sorts of dainty nuances. Sometimes Miss Bankhead acts the conscious actress, sometimes the unconscious actress, and sometimes she just acts.

The pictures set here and there to advertise the play, give a very deceptive indication of Miss Bankhead's charms, chiefly because they give the suggestion of her voice. The rich, strong tones of its lower ranges come much closer than do her slightly saccharine, languishing looks, to expressing the pungency unstained by her throughout the play. She uses that voice of roar, chatter, rave allure, and when it breaks, to breaks. The combined effect is to give what Mr. Kelly twice defines, through the mouths of lovers, as color, to a character than would otherwise be rather insipid be cause of its indecision and repeated frustration. And so Miss Bankhead remains a completely fascinating exciting person throughout her dreary career of finding her romantic lover to be a rotted; her homely lover to be, when he return a married man; and her shrewd, uncouth manager to her destiny.

Clay Clement demands first honorable mention in the role of that manager just avoiding an exaggeration of his gruffness and (perhaps pretended) self interest. Elizabeth Dunne, as Hatter actress's maid, is fully as successful in her modest way, as her superior, and likewise for vocal reasons. She uses an impassionate monotone, which is expect comical when she waxes philosophic and hero encomium on the boys living alone, in being able to go have and find nobody waiting for you was the only line that stopped the play to around applause Phillip Reed as the snake and Alden Chase as the home body likewise left nothing to be desired in a highly diverting, swift-fleeing are wing's entertainment.