The Vagabond

Wrigley's presents -- THE MARCH OF TIME! A new pleasure for you and a new way of presenting the news of the world! Wrigley's has chosen the man they believe to be the foremost historian of our time, Professor Bruce Hopper, to present to you today's enactment of the world's news. Unlike most advertisers, Wrigley's has no control over the program to be presented, but is content to sit back, as you are doing now, and chew a stick of Wrigley's while listening to the news as Professor Hopper has prepared it.

Tuesday September twenty-ninth nineteen-thirty six! From a little farmhouse in Alsace, just a stone's throw from the German Rhineland which Dictator Hitler has so recently fortified, comes this scene of European fear and trembling. It is the dining-room of Pierre Soubriquet, an Alsatian farmer like many of his kind. Around him are seated his wife, Adelaide, and their four young children. M. Soubriquet is speaking:

"Eh bien, Mamam, is that all?"

"Qui, Pierre, that's tout. You have had your crepe suzette."

"Mais, Adelaide, are you sure that is all?" toutes empty."

"Ah, ah, ah. Bien, bien, there's another man that the bruising even ages."

Strasburg, France! Alors! the left banks of the Rhine like a strange phantom, in the gray light of morning walks a French soldier. With a bayonet slung determinedly over his shoulder, past a narrow bridge leading across to Germany, he walks back and for the, back and forth. A large truck rumbles cup to him stops, and two men in uniform climb out, dragging machine guns after them:

Eh, bien, Armand, what have you there?"

"Snow ploughs, mon ami. The Minister of War has ordered that all roads must be kept parfaitment, clear this winter."

"Armand! Armand! What are those great things sticking up in the air over across the Rhine?"

Anti-aircraft guns, sans doute! Herr Hitler has fortified the Rhineland you know."

"Guns here aimed at Germany. And only across the river other guns pointed at nous! Mon dieu, what if a shot went off by mistake?"

And tonight, as the lonely French sentinel paces the bank of the Rhine, all the world wonders with him what fate has in store for trembling Europe. And tonight in Paris Leon Blum goes to bed, as all men must, wondering what Hitler's next move will be. TIME MARCHES ON!

You have just been listening to the MARCH OF TIME, the daily enactment of the world's news as presented to you by Professor Bruce Hopper through the courtesy of the makers of Wrigley's gum. And now, these are the days for fall motoring, for beautiful trips through the country to see the foliage. Next time you step into your car, buy a package of Wrigley's gum, and chew a stick while driving. you will find a renewed pleasure in motoring.

And tomorrow morning at twelve o'clock the Vagabond will go to Harvard 1 to attend the first meeting of Government 18, Professor Hopper's course in "New Factors in International Relations."