Dudley Hall Already Boasts Memberships of 140 As Second Year Begins; Only 160 Joined in 1936

Commuters' Center Seeks Successor for Peregrine White '33 as Hall Secretary

Having successfully weathered the storms indigenous to its creation and first year of existence. Harvard's commuters' center is now embarking auspiciously on its second season.

More than 140 Day Students have already registered at the Dudley Hall head-quarters for 1936-37. During the entire period of last year membership figures barely climbed into the 150 mark.

Associates Reappointed

Together with the news of a prosperous get away, which is credited in part to satisfaction provided by the Center and in part to last January's ruling that the $10 entrance fee may be placed on the term bill, comes the announcement of the reappointment of three graduate associates.

Charles W. Duhig '29, assistant in History, James M. Hawkes '26, instructor in German, and Adolph W. Samborski '26, instructor in Physical Education, will again fill advisory roles.

Successor for White

Who will succeed Peregrine White '33, who has announced his resignation as Secretary of the organization, is still undecided. An appointment is expected from Dean Hanford this week.

In the meantime white is sharing registration duties with Reginald H. Phelps '30, associate secretary.

Facilities in the non-residents' social center should be the same as last year. Provided are "a lunch room capable of seating over 100 students at a time and a large common room furnished as a lounge for recreation and study in addition to locker and wash rooms."

Commuters are grouped together for social activities and form their won athletic teams. As in the Houses, these activities are under the direction of an undergraduate committee.

The Commuter Problem

Until the creation of Dudley Hall the Commuters were in possession of Harvard's perennial and unsolvable problem. A three-cornered situation existed between Phillips Brooks House where the entire commuting body crowded into insufficient quarters and hampered the smooth running of the Social Service menage; the Dean's office where lack of funds or building blocked reform; and the Day Scholars who saw themselves, with justice, the owners of the soubriquet, "the University's forgotten men."

Perpetual agitation, arguments pro and con, and even occasional vituperation were climaxed by the establishment of the present center during the summer of 1935.

Trouble Last Year

Again after organization, troubles last year threatened to wreck the setup before it had an opportunity to prove its worth.

Only 130 of the 220 men who had previously signified their willingness to join actually did so. Freshmen were at first not permitted to enjoy the new facilities, and another storm gathered head between them and the Union.

Finally misunderstanding over the payment of dues canoed ruction during the middle of the season.

Needed reforms then invited 1959 to subscribe, and the fee was made payable is two installments and chargeable on the term bill. A vigorous social program and athletic victories brought the year to a successful close