The Moviegoer

"These Three," an Absorbing, Well-played Story of Unsuccessful Libel; "Lady of Secrets" Is Slightly Sentimental But Good

A boarding-school, a maliciously insane little girl, and an unsuccessful libel suit are the ingredients of "These Three", now at the University Theatre. Miriam Hopkins and Merle Oberon run the school in an old farmhouse that had belonged to Karen Wright's (Miss Oberon) grandmother. When Mary Tillford (Bonita Granville), a problem child and granddaughter of the community's most prominent matron, fabricates a scandal about the conduct of her attractive young school-mistresses with handsome Dr. Joseph Cardin (Joel McCrea), rich mamas and papas withdraw their patronage. A libel suit to bring the matter out into the air miscarries, with the help of Mrs. Mortar (Catherine Doucet), and the fortunes of all three accused are ruined. So runs the tale, a very interesting and at times absorbing one. The mad little girl is beautifully palyed by 'Bonita Granville and all the other characters are competently sketched. Merle Oberon's ingenue to Joel McCrea's Young Hero is often delightful.

Ruth Chatterton, who has been making pictures since who knows when, is starred in "Lady of Secrets", a rather incredible but touching movie. She is really not Joan's (Marian Marsh) sister but her mother, and that gag has been pulled a little too often for a gag that wasn't too good in the first place. However, her romance with the unjustly treated war-victim Michael (Lloyd Nolan) and her patching-up of her sister-daughter's love affair in the face of cruel father Lionel Atwill are interesting. Otto Kruger plays a wealthy anthropologist and sportsman convincingly and Robert Allen looks beautiful in tails. This is a good picture but "These Three" is better.

Mickey Mouse rounds out the bill.