The Crimson Moviegoer

"Nine Days A Queen" An Enjoyable Historical Production With Pllbeam and Hardwicke

This week the Fine Arts is showing a film well worth seeing "Nine Days A Queen" does not equal "Henry VIII" but it is in the same tradition. The story centers about the struggle for power among the nobility after the demise of Henry VIII, with the highest lords of the realm backing successors to the throne.

As far as this reviewer's memory serves him, the film follows its historical motif with reasonable fidelity, although, of course, the emphasis is placed upon the ill-starred Lady Jane Grey and Lord Warwick rather than upon other equally important figures of the time. The director's treatment is thoroughly sympathetic and, although the finale is a foregone conclusion, the movement of Lady Jane upon the chessboard of English politics is one which greatly concerns the spectator.

"Nine Days A Queen" is, to a degree, disjointed in its sequences, a fault common to all but the finest historical movies. And it may seem that the production depends rather heavily upon pageantry, mass scenes, and the chopping block for its effect.

Yet Gaumont-British has done a creditable job, and undertaken, with measurable success, the difficult task of reanimating scenes from the past. Nova Pilbeam, the new GB star who plays the part of Lady Jane, may not be a finished actress, but she has a quaint, old-fashioned charm which seems eminently suitable. Cordie Hardwicke, as the ambitious, cold-blooded Warwick, makes an evil geni of convincing unamiability. The supporting cast is of high calibre, thus insuring against any let-down in the minor, transitional scenes.

The Fine Arts, as usual, presents a variety of short subjects, of which the most interesting is a photographic tour of Britain's Mediterranean "life-line". There is also a comedy short and a Hawaian scenic short.