The Crimson Playgoer

Talbot and Angel Love in a Garage; Gertrude Michael Lures in Vain; Astaire Twinkles in "Roberta"

The worlds of screen star and taxi driver meet in a tense drama, "It Happened in New York," packed with pathos and mingled emotions, to prove that all of us are brothers and sisters under the skin. Gertrude Michael, the star, fed up with her public and her press-agent, Hugh O'Connell, is fascinated by Lyle Talbot's manly figure and colorful repartee. We fear the worst when she lures him away from his telephone girl sweetheart and aboard a yacht, where he saves her from a couple of thugs; she says, "Why are you so cold and distant?"; he says, "O. K. Toots;" she says, "You dance divinely;" he says, "Aw, gee;" she says, "haven't you ever felt that you wanted to be loved?" In stead they return to attend the premiere of her "Caribbean Love." Also attending is Talbot's girl, Hoather Augel, accompanied by a phony prince, whom Miss Michael has jilted for Talbot. Everything turns out all right, though. Miss Michael sails for Europe, and Talbot and Heather Augel open a garage Life is Like that!.

"Roberta," the other feature, pleasingly combines fashions, an orchestra, singing, and dancing. The cast includes Fred Astaire, Irenc Dunne, Ginger Rogers. Randolph Scott, Claire Dodd, and Helen Westley, Irene Dunne, as the Russian princess, sings "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes;" Ginger Rogers, a Terre Haute Lyda Robert, sings "I'II Be hard to Handle," but Jerome Kern fans will miss "The Touch of Your Hand." Randy Scott, out of the Westerns, makes a fine all-American Newfoundland dog, and Claire Dorr gives another good characterization of all that is base in woman kind. A Mr. Astaire does some excellent dance numbers.