Yesterday

It looks as if the President is due to get a bird: The Blue Eagle is coming home to roost and die. General Johnson's brain child born in a laboring, emotional crusade two years ago is having its neck wrung by Senator Clark's resolution. The Senator is giving the NRA nine more months to live; the President's proposal of two years is too long. Evidently now that the sun is shining, industry is getting more bold in telling the government to keep its hands off.

Only Lady Luck and the President's initiative can save the Blue Eagle. The Speaker of the House at Washington and Chairman Daughton have said Roosevelt's wishes will be controlling should he want to induce the House to refuse the Clark resolution. Nevertheless, wise on-lookers at the Capitol believe the Senate will deadlock with the House on any legislation designed to save the NRA. And in all probability the deadlock will extend past June 16, when the Dlue Eagle is officially due to shed its feathers.

Another chance for its life lies in the Supreme Court decisions. If, by the end of the month, the Court should sustain certain vital sections of the NRA now under examination, Mr. Roosevelt probably will be able to force the Senate to comply with his wishes. In passing, one cannot help suggesting that now when time is such a precious element in the fate of the Blue Eagle, the President may not look on Professor Frankfurter with too fond feelings. It was the latter's advice that major court tests of the NRA be delayed. But that was when the Eagle soared merrily.

Yet, come what may, it will not be said that the White House in a time of sore need did not send out a kind bird of peace and protection for the country's industrial welfare. And now those Senators who want to send the kind bird back to the President plucked and beaten, had better proceed discreetly. There's always election time and eaglets are scarce!