The Crimson Bookshelf

THE REVOLT AGAINST BEAUTY, by John Hemming Fry. New York, G. P. Putnam's Sons. 1935. 212 pp.

THE subtitle of this work, "The Source and Genesis of Modernistic Art," describes adequately the scope of the book. Mr. Fry very ably and convincingly sets forth the thesis that modernistic art is a kind of neurosis that "has cast its baleful spell over American esthetic culture."

Mr. Fry energetically and with biting sarcasm examines critically some of the statements made by Mr. Craven in his book on "Modern Art." "So virulent is the abuse," says Mr. Fry in reference to this work of Craven's, "that it arouses the suspicion that Mr. Craven attempted to paint, and failing, was turned down by the Academy; then, like other failures, he vented his charging by turning art critic and vilifying the Academicians."

In an interesting chapter on "The Inferiority Complex in Art" Mr. Fry relates the modernist cult in the arts with the democratic spirit in politics. The lack of culture in the ruling mob he believes is one impetus to the success of modernistic art which panders to the naive mass of uncultured culture seekers. He believes that the phenomenon of this new art presents a problem for profound study by psychologists. "The deification of ugliness and obscenity, the urge for mutilation, deformation, muddy color and exaggeration, are all symptoms," he says, "of sadism, indicating a form of psychopathiasexualis."

In a concluding chapter he suggests three ways for America to destroy this threatening ogre. First, he favors the elimination of the Imposture of modernistic art. Second, he would give art students more thorough technical discipline, and lastly, he would educate the public to a sufficient level that it could "recognize and respond to a true creative art."

All students of art and those only casually interested should find enjoyment and basis for thought in this book. It is biased in one extreme and in many places highly naive and un-objective but the author makes a point that is worthy of attention and it may be more sound than it appears at first. Certainly those who have read Mr. Craven should not neglect the reply of Mr. Fry.