TO CROW IN WISDOM

Now that the time of year when the graduating students of the secondary schools begin to think of Freshman courses is again here, the University has an opportunity to remedy some of the ills of the past. Not only does the budding Freshman turn to the future, but his predecessor, next year's dropped Freshman, wrecked on the shoals of ignorance, tears his hair, and curses himself, his adviser, his instructors and various other assorted evil genii.

The present method of initiation into the higher realms of scholarship, employing the adviser who has only over one week-end to formulate programs for some twenty-odd men is rather obviously insufficient. Not even the most able land conscientious man can correctly estimate the ability of so many men in so short a time while the recluse greybeards inhabiting the Law School and the Semitic Museum possess such a remarkable lack of knowledge of their job that they do not even get to bat. Even older men who are in constant communication with the undergraduate department in their own fields, have grown out of touch with undergraduate feelings and problems in the broader sense. That ideal adviser, the Yard proctor, exists in the minority.

Attempting to meet these rather unsatisfactory conditions, some of the eastern prep-schools are conducting in formal conferences on Freshman programs and the graduate of these schools appears in the fall with courses chosen, an inestimable advantage over the poor unconscious innocent who hastily elects the first four courses that he hears of and repents it the rest of the year. The proposal that the University send out men to speak at the various nearby schools and for those at a distance publish an enlarged booklet on the Freshman courses, hits a snag when one considers the number of variations of secondary curricula with which such a circuit rider would have to familiarize himself.

It would seem to be the best possible solution to have a meeting in Cambridge each spring of the schools representatives to whom some authority would hold forth expounding any changes since the last meeting, and generally refreshing their information. These men would have no trouble in correlating this information with their own particular problems, and could thus give up-to-date information to their graduating class. Certainly the enlarged course booklet should be added for the benefit of any schools whose representatives were unable to attend, the staff of advisers should be purged, and, if possible another day should be found in the fall for the adviser and advisee to consult and to debate the various possibilities. Only by such action can the University avoid censure for the present number of disasters, which come to pass only through ignorance of pitfalls.