IMPETUS TO THE NEW DEAL

The selection of Richard Mott Gummere as Chairman of the Committee on Admissions allays any doubts that may have been current as to the relative unimportance of the position. A distinguished educator and headmaster of one of the country's oldest preparatory schools having accepted the appointment would do so only if he thought the position would be a useful and important one.

In the past the position of Chairman of the Committee on Admission has been a stereotyped one requiring not a great deal of originally but merely an aptitude for routine work. There is a definite need, however, and opportunity for making the position an influential one. Directing as he does the selection of future students the Chairman should have opportunity to raise the standards of admission as he feels such changes necessary. He well may take much of the responsibility in the task of selecting desirable men for the new scholarships proposed by President Conant. This is something which calls for keen judgment and ability to analyze high school men which the Chairman must certainly possess. Possible revision of the College Boards and their use in determining the fitness of men to enter college is another problem that the Chairman must be concerned with in the near future.

The recent appointment of Mr. Gummere promises that the position of Chairman will assume new importance and influence the policies of the University to a greater extent than it has before. No longer must the Chairman remain a figurehead guided by traditional policies and pursuing his routine work with no opportunity for the expression of original ideas or the introduction of new plans.