CRIMSON PLAYGOER

"MANDALAY"--University

Although the inveterate moviegoer must resign himself to stereotyped plots, he always has a sneaking hope that some performance will be worth the price of admission. Unfortunately, the musical voice of Kay Francis is too small a weapon to struggle against the tawdry and tune worn story if "Mandalay" which is playing at the University.

Three souls need immediate redemption; obviously one is going to lose out. Before the story has proceeded very far it becomes apparent that the souls of the doctor and of the dance hall hostess are not stained irrevocably, since they have both been wronged. It is a question of time before the slick and ally gambler. Ricardo Coriez, fades from the scene. Thus he is the cause of a pleasant surprise when he faces his end with a great deal of tact.

The pleasant talent of Edward Everett Borton and Edna May Oliver make the other mediocre movie. "The Poor Rich" adequate entertainment for the tired undergraduate. In the role of penniless aristocratic cousins with an impressive genealogical background, they make a last desperate attempt to obtain a rich bride for the here. After several complications. Albert finds that he can marry where true love guides him. Grant Mitchell, who has never equaled in the films the success he scored in the play. "Little Accident," gave a satisfactory interpretation of the deputy sheriff. Neither Leila Hyama nor Thelma Todd were allowed to act: but they were on the screen a great deal.