Yesterday

Patriots Have Their Day

"We must ally ourselves with American Youth; we must hold out to the young people of America a program which is bright, entertaining, full of hope, promise, and vision. . ." It sounds like another Call-To-Action from professor Dewey's Youth a Movement factory, or perhaps it is the National Student's League gone suddenly articulate. But it comes from Mrs. Magna in Washington, and unless you know Mrs. Magna and what she represents you will be utterly taken in. It does sound like a call to revolution but it cannot be, coming as it does from the President General of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

These Daughters of the Revolution, in their living and being, mark one of the many paradoxes which stem from indiscriminate use of that word of words, Patriotism. Their alienation from the spirit and even many of the principles of the Founding Fathers is without parallel in the history of revolutions. A hundred years after England's Revolution in 1689, which was an affair of the same type, although more decorous than ours of '76, there existed in London a Society of the Revolution, sons of Whig stalwarts. It was the program of this society, however, to bring the French Revolution to England.

No one desires, for the sake of mere consistency, that these inept matrons should espouse the cause of World Revolution. They have their own contribution to offer America as a picturesque and well-behaved branch organization with all the badges and regalia of the Elks; Odd-Fellows, and the Legion, but also good-behavior and disinterestedness. Their program is bright and entertaining, as desired. But before the Daughters can hope to enlist youth, especially students in a program of "talking America up," faith in government, and country; they will have to yank themselves out of the political picture and indulge in some honest introspection and in the historical study of America from the time of the Funding Fathers to the present day. They should then assure themselves that the government, as represented by the New Dealers, has faith in them. Finally they should try to gain the lasting goodwill of American youth by removing their awesome Education Lobby from Washington and from every schoolhouse in the country, where their methods of teaching "American history, civil government, and character building" have more to do with the legends of which the Daughters form such a vivid reminder, than they do with modern actuality. TOBERMORY.