The Music Box

Inspired by the last-minute news that "Doc" came back last night, the Harvard Glee Club and Radcliffe Choral Society opened their first joint spring concert, yesterday afternoon at Symphony Hall, in the traditional manner with a study from a recognized master: Mozart. The special chorus from Harvard and Mr. Lautner, tenor, deserve to be complimented for the spontaneity of their interpretation of his choruses for Freemasons.

Progressing then to selections from contemporary composers, all of whom were fortunately present to take their bows, we heard consecutively "O Fons Bandusiae" (Randall Thompson) in which both choruses joined to do honor to Horace, "By the Rivers of Babylon" (Loeffier) wherein the Radcliffe girls eloquently express the melancholy of the Psalmist, and "John Brown's Song" (Robert Delaney) which was a strange and certainly modern treatment of the poem by Steven Vincent Benet.

Following the intermission, we turned with pleasure to Brahms, Beethoven, and Bach. With the Chorus, we trembled before the Fates (Gesang der Parzen--Brahms) and felt the triumph of Revelation (Nun ist das Heil--Bach). We offer it as our opinion that in "Elegischer Gesang" (Beethoven) we heard the best and most delightful singing of the afternoon; here were best displayed those tricks of choral technique for which the choruses most diligently strive; here, too, was the most perfect balance between the chorus and orchestra.

By their sympathetic work, the soloists and players from the Boston Symphony Orchestra were so helpful to the singers that we hasten to forgive them for occasional overenthusiastic passages.

Mr. Woodworth, we congratulate especially on the success of this concert. With the enthusiastic audience, we venture to hope that it may become an annual treat.