The Music Box

The seventh Cambridge concert of the Boston Symphony Orchestra was dedicated to the memory of the late President Charles William Eliot, the father of these local concerts. For this occasion an orthodox programme of Bach, Beethoven, and Schubert, President Eliot's favorite composers, was played. Again we enjoyed the invigorating Third Brandenburg Concerto, a favorite of all musicians and music-lovers. If we should desire to quibble, we might suggest a bit quicker tempo for the last movement, but let it suffice to say that Father Bach himself could hardly have given a more full-blooded and flowing performance. The Unfinished Symphony was sung tenderly and passionately, though the passfon might have been reinforced by a little more "sturm" And for the Fifth Symphony of Beethoven it is futile to write words about great music. Unfortunately the Cambridge dowagers were left untouched by the Bach and Schubert, but the outbursts of Beethoven swept away all the spell of "academicism." These choice events of orthodoxy are peculiarly refreshing in their rarity.

The regular week-end series of concerts will present the Twelfth concerto Grosse of Handel, the "Adelaide" Concerto of Mozart and the Beethoven Concerto in D, played by Yohudi Menuhin, and Three Excerpts from "the Damnation of Faust" by Berlioz.