CRIMSON PLAYGOER

"COMING OUT PARTY"

Keith's Boston Joy Stanhope  Frances Dee Chris Hansen  Gene Raymond Miss Vanderhoe  Alison Skipworth

A pretty face and a knowledge of the normal reaction to a kiss by a heart-throbber carries this film, now playing at Keith's Boston, through to a last-minute happy conclusion, in spite of the blond loveliness of Gene Raymond and Hollywood's ideas on the point of debutantes. Miss Dee, in the part of the social novitiate contributes comeliness and charm to her role, the saving grace in an otherwise run-of-the-mill movie. And let it not be claimed that the charm of the adorable Frances cannot perform such a miracle. The crowds that wait patiently through the show give ample testimony on this point.

Joy Stanhope, a young lady faced with a debut and love at the same time is the plot, and its ramifications concern for the most part the misunderstandings with her loved one caused by her parents' desire to marry her to a man in her social class. Gene Raymond as Chris Hansen is Joy's hope and pride but the family has chosen Jimmy Wolverton, scion of millions. Time after time in weary succession, Chris finds Joy in the company of Jimmy, only a few hours after she has professed her love for him. This round-robbin reaches a climax at her coming out party when she runs off with the capricious Jimmy after she learns that Chris has gone on a tour to Europe. He is returned by Troon, a Scotch butler admirably portrayed by Nigel Bruce and only after more rigmarole is the inevitable happy ending reached.

Alison Skipworth as the social commission merchant and Harry Gold as the Jewish orchestra leader and romance mender give particularly able characterizations, while Gene Raymond as the in-human lever hits a new low. In spite of his assertion that he is "four years older than you are and knows all about life" we have to believe his other gem that "I have never played with anything except a violin."

On the stage, Keith's presents "Midway Night" and even the fan dance of Rosalie fails to satisfy. Knowledge of Boston's airtight censorship dispels any thought that you get something for nothing.