The Crimson Playgoer

"LADY KILLER"--University

James Cagney's latest tough boy spiel, now on the University sheet under the cognomen of "Lady Killer," is the fastest moving and most entertaining film released since "Bomb Shell." Like that Harlow epic, it is no esthete's reward, not yet a De Mille nogrom of the conventions; it is purely and simply a play-up to the inimitable James. Cagney twists his mat face into all sorts of hyena snarls; e bungs the ladies in the snout, and telescopes their jaws as the occasion requires; he enters the picture as a tough usher, graduates to the jewel thief class, kicks up a jump to a movie star's berth, and finishes the whirlwind by aiding the police in a running machine-gun duel with the old gang, in the course of which the old gang is almost totally exterminated. Naturally, that Cagney trademark, rough treatment of the squooshy sex, is not neglected. In a scene which will feed the starved souls of Back Bay mocha-moochers, Jimmy drags a hopped-up moll across the room by her hair and boots her out the portal with the best kick since Albie Booth's winner of '31. In short, the film will amuse you from start to finish, beauty is represented by the lushy gangster moll, and Margaret Lindsay, Jimmy's true love; the minor character roles are superbly done, and the direction is smooth, see it.

"By Candlelight," the other picture, features Elissa Landi, and Paul Lukas in a high-society comedy scramble. Elissa is not at her best, but she is bearable. The plot is intricate, one you can puzzle out for yourselves; it involves maids and butlers taking the place of their mistresses and masters, while the masters and mistresses live in sin, and while the butlers and maids think each other other than they seem; it's a good picture.