CRIMSON PLAYGOER

"The Barretts of Wimpole Street" An Outstanding Picture Of The Year

Since a large proportion of the students of the University have already seen "The Barretts" in the film or play version or both, or have at least heard enough about it, we shall add only a few remarks to the ever increasing stack of reviews already in existence. But if there be in the University any people who have not yet seen this picture, we urge them to take this final opportunity. Those who saw Miss Cornell's performance can go without fear that they will be too greatly disappointed, for in the screen version the emphasis has been shifted from Elizabeth Barrett to her harsh, perverted father, and although Norma Sheerer is no Cornell, Charles Laughton as Edward Moulton-Barrett is convincing enough for anyone.

Occasional poor handling of scenes and some deficiencies of the principal characters, notably Frederic March, make the film just miss the excellence of the play. Among the minor characters, Manreen O'Sullivan and Una O'Connor give fine performance.

The other picture, "The Million Dollar Ransom" was written by Damon Runyon for those who like their underworld straight. A benevolent beer-baron gives his life for his daughter and a millionaire kid. The moustached heavies are as sinister as you could ask and if you have no violent objection to Andy Devine's whining, and if you can endure underworld and Damon slang you will find the picture passable but unsafe.