The Crimson Playgoer

Anna Sten and Frederic March Cast In Movie of Tolstoy's Novel "Resurrection"

One of the best directed pictures of the season is featured this week at Loew's State. Entitled "We Live Again" the movie is an adaptation of Tolstoy's great novel "Resurrection." Casting the newly-found star Anna Sten, of "Naua" fame, in the role of the peasant girl and Frederic March, versatile and capable actor, as the master who first makes for her a disgraceful and wretched existence and then remorsefully and penitently returns to "live again," the director of the picture found two unusual and convincing players to portray the moving story.

Equally well selected were those who played the minor roles and who provided background for the story laid in imperial Russia about 1875. Anna Sten shows ability to act and is something more than a pleasing puppet. Her portrayal is sincere, charming, and natural. Frederic March does well as Dmitri and although at times we are conscious of his acting he turns in a splendid characterization that is moving and realistic. The director makes use of symbolism a great deal which at times is overdone but in some scenes is artistic and adds greatly to the interpretation of the story. The photography is excellent. The movie plot follows Tolstoy's story for the most part and gives a realistic picture of peasant life and modes of thinking in an age now rapidly becoming past history. The love theme is treated subtly and with a finesse too rare in most pictures today.