THE CRIMSON PLAYGOER

Arliss Displays Usual Excellence in "The Last Gentleman" in Modern Tale

As usual, Mr. Arliss is himself in an excellent comedy production, and this time he is not hampered by the exactions of an historical role. Cabot Barr--for some reason not entirely clear, the last gentleman--is a crotchety old New Englander, who delights in insulting the lesser members of his family. And it is a compliment to his ability that he can insult them, for they are a pretty scaly lot. His sister Augusta (Edna May Oliver) is a scrawny, self-starting weeper; his only son (Donald Meek) is a fawning, scheming hypocrite, who spends his time making a record of his father's eccentricities with a view to proving him insane.

Old Cabot Barr summons his happy family to his mansion to attend a memorial service for another member of the family who is supposed to have died in China. The service is broken up by the unexpected striking of Cabot's hundred odd clocks, which were supposed to have been stopped for the ceremony. Investigation discloses the fact the Cabot's granddaughter (Charlotte Henry), who was so unfortunate as to be born a girl, had used this method of crossing the old Barr when an adopted son of the family (Frank Albertson) accuses her of making a play for the old man's favor to get his money. This Barr independence pleases Cabot, who decides to make her his heir and marry her to the adopted son, who is to change his name to Barr. This eugenic experiment is finally successful after Cabot Barr has forbidden his granddaughter to have anything to do with the adopted son. Cabot's son, afraid of losing his inheritance, tries to prove his father insane, but is unsuccessful. But the shock is too much for the old boy. He makes his will and gradually dies away. After his death the whole family is summoned to hear his will read, and there are surprises for every one.

Although George Arliss makes the picture what it is, his cast ably supports him. Charlotte Henry has outgrown "Alice in Wonderland", but still looks a little too much like Shirley Temple for a mature part.