CRIMSON PLAYGOER

AT THE METROPOLITAN

Those who like to sing, dance, and see pictures at the Metropolitan Theatre are offered this week Will Rogers in "Mr. Skitch," and the opera singer Mary McCormic in a group of more or less familiar selections. This, of course, is in addition to the usual musical gymnastics of Mr. Fabien Sevitzky and an assorted stage show.

Miss McCormic, handsomely gowned, as the boys say, has an attractive voice which she uses without particular strain to encompass songs like "My Hero" and this being Boston, "Come Back to Erin," and "Macushla."

Will Rogers has always seemed to this reviewer as more of a toastmaster than a movie star. In "Mr. Skitch," he noseys around in his usual aimless fashion, scratches the back of his head and exhibits that sheepish Rogers smile. There is no doubt that as the writer of the Washington Letter and the originator of a radio football game in which world celebrities take part he is a talented and versatile man. As such it is interesting to watch him parade his personality in "Mr. Skitch." Despite a few good comedy situations and the presence of Zasu Pitts and Eugene Pallette, however, the show fails to hold any sustained pace.

The story involves a girl who does imitations of movie stars, the discovery that a boy thought to be poor is, in reality, a wealthy heir, and a tour through the auto camps of America with Mr. Rogers at the helm of the car. The trenchant political observations of the former mayor of Beverly, break forth now and again, but it is to be hoped that on his next vacation from the radio Mr. Rogers will be cast in a production with something more stimulating than lazy good humor.