CRIMSON PLAYGOER

Jan Kiepura's Voice Features Tremont Picture, With Magda Snyder in Role of Heroine

Designed primarily as a vehicle for Jan Kiepura's tenor voice, Laemmle's latest production "Be Mine Tonight", combines serious opera and gay frivolity into a highly entertaining unit; but either Kiepura's singing or Magda Snyder's levity alone would be amusing.

The tenor Henrico Ferraro dodges his ranting manageress, Non-Stop Nora, to strike an acquaintanceship with a garrulous and none too scrupulous stranger. When the stranger buys wine with his money, Ferraro does not object. When the stranger takes the liberty of inviting himself into the same hotel room, Ferraro remains tolerant. But when the stranger is mistaken for the tenor, Ferraro is delighted; it is his cue for a day off.

But here he in turn is tricked, by Matillda, (Magda Snyder) adopted daughter of the Mayor, who proves far too clever to be fooled long by Ferraro's artifice. She soon discovers their scheme and unfortunately the local police are not far behind, for that evening they arrest Ferraro, posing as his friend, the stranger, who is wanted in four countries.

Comes the revelation. In a dingy, sub-cellar police station the great Ferraro sings "La Traviata" before a jury of the town's musicians and is promptly acquitted, after promising to sing Rudolpho in the town's production of "La Boheme".

As a story, "Be Mine Tonight" will be successful because of Magda Snyder's slyness; but as an operetta it will be a sure hit because of Jan Kiepura's tenor voice, which is heard often in the more familiar operas. His next picture "Blossom Time" soon to be released, ought to be worth seeing -- and hearing.