CONFIDENTIAL GUIDE

Engineering Sciences 1a

For those students who are planning to concentrate in Engineering Sciences, this course is a helpful, if not an invaluable aid. To the student who is merely seeking to get another credit this course will seem rather boring. However, it can be safely said that anyone with average intelligence can pass it.

The course serves mainly as an aid to the student in learning to draw in the conventional engineering ways. Roughly speaking, he learn how to read blue prints and how to express his ideas in drawings rather than word.

The class meets twice a week in the afternoon and last for three hours. Afternoon is expected for the full time, but the students who have athletic requirement to fulfill can be excused early providing their work is up to date. The work in the course leads directly into the work for Engineering Sciences 1b.

English A-2

English A-2 is not, as many suppose, the course in composition taken by students who fail to satisfy the instructors of English A-1. Rather it is a convenient and pleasurable course in writing which may be taken as a full course or as a half course in either half year. It is convenient in that, similar to most of its kind in Harvard, it requires a thousand words a week, which, in view of the fact that there are no exams, is a very reasonable amount; and pleasurable in that it is conducted in a leisurely, efficient manner admirably adapted to the fast of the dilettante scribbler, and sympathetically suited to the ability of the more serious student. Needless to say, no composition course should be considered under ordinary circumstances by one who does not have a real desire to express his thoughts or his fancies on paper.

There are two lectures a week on Tuesday and Thursday at 2 o'clock. The student finishes eating his lunch, ambles glibly to Emerson Hall, seats himself comfortably in room. A, and to a widely varying extent, lecture which may be on a subject of interest to him, of, possibly, which may cause him to glance out occasionally at the great clock on Memorial Tower. Often the theme of a student is read out loud, and is generally enjoyed--for better or worse; often a piece of writing by some acknowledged author is delivered from the platform; and, with similar frequency, the student is instructed as to selection of words, development of thought, treatment of subject, and a thousand and one other factors which may some day enable him to write well.