AUTOMOBILES: IN MOTION

It has often been remarked that heavy traffic in the Yard is for the most part as unnecessary as it is annoying. There is a serious question whether the sleek and oleaginous vans of the carriage tradesman or the monstrous drays of the express companies threaten pensive scholar and woolgathering student the more. Perhaps the one, stalking in his quiet, feline approach, is the worse for life and limb, the other the more menacing to sanity as it honks and howls and rumbles and clatters. At any rate the intruders are a nuisance.

This problem has long been a Gordian knot for which the dull wits of the responsible officials have been no cleaving sword. But a simple man and true, an honest yardcop, the flower of Colonel Apted's force, could shear the tangled threads. He would divert traffic from Widener's airy porch, the prime lurking lair of homicidal chauffeurs. To do this he would open the at present unused gate by Harvard Hall, where trucks bearing heavy burdens would be admitted, and at which the carriers of light parcels, laundrymen and such, would be denied the luxury of motor transportation. This would shunt all traffic to the dormitories, where it belongs and leave the pavement before Widener free for initiations and the police escort of the visiting ambassador from Liberia.