THE PRESS

Tiger, Tiger Burning Bright

The following are excerpts taken from the editorial columns of the Crimson at the time of the break in athletic relations between Harvard and Princeton, in 1926.

There are times in the course of human events when silence is more effective than the written word. Those times, however, are limited. When the football teams of two old and large American universities play each other in such an atmosphere as was evidenced over the last weekend, silence on the part of the college journals is indicative either of supreme callousness or supreme dullness. For no one had to be particularly adroit to realize that there was evident animosity displayed within the Harvard Stadium last Saturday...

For years Harvard has adopted a patronizing attitude toward Princeton, culminating in the obviously undiplomatic incident of the early fall when Princeton was certainly treated in a cavalier fashion by those in charge of athletics at Harvard. This, of course, rankles in the hearts of both Princeton undergraduates and graduates alike. Princeton for some time has felt it eminently necessary to remain a part of the Big Three. Placing these two facts together, then, one readily understands why such phenomena as those of the last weekend can occur...

The CRIMSON admits that the Lampoon extra sent to the stadium immediately after the game last Saturday was a clever parody. But it is just such trivial breaches of common sense, not to mention tact, which make the spirit of the Harvard-Princeton game that of a prize flight.--Tuesday, November 9, 1926.

The CRIMSON commends Princeton for the stand taken by those in charge of Princeton athletic policies, as authentically stated in this morning's paper. For there is reflected in that stand a certain praiseworthy independence of spirit at all times commendable to them who truly respect the dignity of venerable and honorable institutions of American education.

If that stand is the result of the nebulous policies of the Harvard Athletic Association in this instance apparently more than maladroit, then, not alone is the stand commendable, it is reasonable, if, however, it traces more directly to the unpleasant episodes of the last week-end, the CRIMSON, while admiring Princeton's maintenance of a decent and convincing self, respect, feels that the decision to break off relations with Harvard, is too abrupt. Nothing can do more to hurt amateur athletics in general and football in particular than the fact that two ancient and great American Universities cannot enjoy honorable and pleasant athletic relations. If Harvard, through her Athletic Association is at fault, the CRIMSON can only deplore the actions of that Association,--Thursday, November 11, 1926.

Recent developments is the athletic relations between Harvard and Princeton are as follows Last spring the H.A.A. made overtures to Princeton toward replacing Princeton by Michigan on the University's 1927 schedule. This was understood to be a temporary move. This question was settled at the meeting of October 6 between the athletic directors of the Big Three, It was then decided that the Michigan game be dropped and that Harvard play Princeton in 1927. At that meeting it was further suggested that the University play Princeton and Yale alternately as the last game on the schedule. The Harvard representation rejected this proposal on the ground that the Yale game was the traditional climax of the season and that it should remain so. The third development was the definite statement by the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports at its meeting of October 18 that the Yale game alone shall be considered a permanent fixture on the football schedule. . . The Lampoon editorial and the other incidents of this past week are well known directors wired saying that some sort of an official apology was essential because of the growing tension on the campus. . .

Considering these facts, it seems obvious that the drastic step taken by Princeton was immediately due to a combination of irritation over the episodes written statement definitely placing Princeton on a lower level than Yale in Big Three relations. The primary condition of a lasting agreement between three universities is equality of footing for each member. When one of the parties to such an agreement is definitely placed on a separate basis by another of the parties, the only self-respecting attitude for the former is to end the arrangement altogether. The CRIMSON feels that the Big Three can never be re established nor made to operate successfully until Harvard agrees to make Princeton as permanent on the schedule as it does Yale. Friday, November 12, 1926.