THE PRESS

Harvard's Need

The needs of the Athletic Association from the standpoint of new buildings are not at all comparable now to what they were five or six years ago. . . . On the occasion of the Harvard-Yale hockey game, however, it is timely to call attention to the fact that Harvard's next required building is a covered ice rink, in which varsity contest with Yale, and in which House hockey, general recreational hockey and ice skating can take their place on the Harvard athletic program.

There is little chance of the Athletic Association surplus being such in the next few years that the Corporation can be petitioned for this much-needed building. Indeed, the Association must rely upon the generosity of graduates as it did in the case of the Briggs Cage, the Dillon Field house and for two thirds of the Indoor Building.

Contrary to the general belief, a covered rink at Soldiers Field would involve an expenditure of not more than $150,000. West Point has erected a rink, with an auxiliary artificial ice plant for such a sum, and Harvard could erect a rink to meet all its needs with a similar sum. The Director of Athletics in his last three reports to the President, has called attention to the need of such an addition to the athletic plant. . .

Until a covered rink is available at Soldiers Field, the Athletic Association can provide opportunities for only varsity and freshman team candidates to play. In the meantime the great bulk of undergraduates are missing participation in a sport that lends itself most harmoniqualy to a winter program. The New England winters are such now that outdoor skating can be guaranteed for only a few days. The Association is convinced that the present condition never can be remedied by open rinks at the field. H. A. A. News.