The Student Vagabond

The long line of bayonets went up, the sun flashed on clear steel, half a thousand boots clicked to attention as the Emperor walked slowly up the great steps of the Pantheon. He was going to visit the grave of the man that had made him possible. the Guard stood by eagerly waiting for the great epitaph which the Emperor would pronounce as he stood before the tomb of Rousseau. Marshalls leaned forward on their scabbards, courtiers strained unintelligent ears to catch a phrase they might repeat. All waited a trifle obviously. Napoleon in his favourite green stared down at the stone and murmured half to himself, "The world would be a better place if neither you nor I had lived".

The Emperor may have been right, but Rousseau's influence is still felt in the world today. Unable to answer any social obligation he wrote the most compelling book on the necessity of social obligations. Uneducated he changed the whole theory of education in a book called the Emile. Half mad, unstable, pathologic he had more influence over normal men than anyone in his century. Underneath all that was despicable and disgusting in his nature there was something fine and honest and sincere. It was something for which the 18th century had searched and found a half answer in the cynicism of Voltaire who taught them only what was wrong. Rousseau in feeling had found the truth which his century could not find in thought. He wet the hearts of men at war and struck off the sparks of Revolution. Down the alley of the 18th century he fled and into the broad boulevards of the 20th. His words are written into half a score of constitutions and his thoughts have driven men into a new way of life.

Today at three in Sever 11 Professor Babbitt will speak on "La Nouvelle Heloise", and Rousseau's influence on literature.

TODAY

9 o'clock

"Fors Clavigera", Professor Rollins, Emerson II.

"Napoleon", Professor Langer, New Lecture Hall.

"Horace, Satires", Professor Peterkin, Sever 14.

"Richelieu", Mr. Doolin, Boylston 52.

12 o'clock

"Shakspere's Middle Comedies", Professor Murray, Harvard 3.

3 o'clock

"Rousseau's Influence on the Novel: La Nouvelle Heloise", Professor Babbitt, Sever 11.

"Periclean Institutions", Professor Ferguson, Emerson H.