THE PRESS

A Heel Stuck in Tar

Glancing through the various specimens of journalistic endeavor that are the product of some of our more august contemporaries, we are lead to the conviction that culture of the collegiate Fourth Estate in the more urban and intellectually polished sections of our eastern United States is highly chimerical. Specifically do we refer to the current front pages of the "Daily Princetonian" and the "Harvard Crimson," whose make-ups bear voluminous descriptive stories of basketball games, alumni meetings, and polo contests, with too infrequent reference to matters of national and international import.

The editorial policy of these papers seems to be bound in rigid provincialism, with an elaboration of current facts and details that merely report events, failing to challenge constructive thought. Editorial discussions refer to the ranking of clubs, liberalizing the curriculum and the normalcy of Phi Beta Kappa students, now and then pausing to this or that professor or this or that athletic team heartily between the shoulder blades.

The bull-session, once the undergraduate rendezvous for embryo-intellectual discussion, now having deterriorated into a general sex seminar, leaves little avenue for undergraduate acquaintance with matter of heterogenous importance other than a daily paper or magazine. The collegiate press has declined to a low ebb when it neglects such matters and conforms to such an apparent policy of provincialism.--D.C.S. Daily Tar Heel, University of North Carolina.