THE PRESS

hoorayhoorayhoorayhoorayhoorayhooray

The Alumni are here-hooray, hooray.

Back they come to old Eli-thousands of them. Back they come to the old haunts-to find the old haunts dead and buried. Now there are buildings and buildings, new buildings, beautiful buildings, beautiful memories to wealthier alumni who have departed this earth.

And education-education-of course. It still goes on just us effectively as ever. It is suspected that the undergraduates learn more today than when the alumni were here-but education was plenty good enough in times gone by. Under the circumstances, during the transition period from Yale the small college to Yale the great American University, allowances must be made. Yet there are some disturbing conditions in this connection. Why are undergraduates so apathetic? Why so many weekends? Why so much drinking? The alumni are a veritable nuisance asking such embarrassing questions.

The News says and has said many times that the blame for these things should not fall on the undergraduates. The students are just as fine, just as intelligent, and just as good moral Americans as ever, if not a great deal better than in years past. The incident of blame is first on the American system of living, big cities, fast automobiles, corrupt politics, cheap shows, and above all on that exceedingly intelligent law our fathers concoated Prohibition. The second incident is on Yale University on its too small Faculty, and on its unstable society.

It is too difficult for the News to present any worthwhile opinion on the subject of the Faculty. Yale is too large and too intricate for any group of undergraduates to understand. It would be too stupendous a task to discover the whys and the wherefores of the program. Suffice if to say, undergraduate Yale is not exactly satisfied that the buildings do seem better than the teaching. The Faculty is one of the most able in the country, but it is just plain too small. So far our opinion is valid: further we are disinclined to venture.

As to Yale's unstable society, it is obvious that the Classes are too large to attain any considerable unity of spirit. In Yale College, the Classes average near 550. The Freshman Year approximates 850. In addition Ac and Sheff are unfortunately separated by the insurmountable barriers of one or two blocks of administration buildings. Consequently, no one knows a quarter of the men in his Class. There is little Class, spirit, little incentive to stay around week-ends and to organize scrub teams. It is apparent that the House Plan by breaking up these unwieldy units will go far towards recouping the old Yale spirit. That is one great hope of the House Plan.

All in all, Yale is a pretty good place. The hopes of America might just as well center here. If politics ever get cleaner, and if business ever gets over depression, look for the Yale men. A Yale fraternity is about the best breeding ground in the world for politicians. Take the Record, or even the Lit, the football managership, the Laundry, the Wood Agency, or even the News for future captains of industry. And as for bond salesman-why do you think they built the Yale Bowl?

We thank the alumni for reading the News this once a year, for picking up the time honored sheet, and for critically scanning the O. C. D.s' interpretation of undergraduate opinion. Is the News the only organization that has not asked you for money today?

(Ed. Note: O. C. D. is an abbreviation for Oldest College Daily. The CRIMSON, then a fortnightly, was established in 1873; the Yale Daily News in 1878.) -Yale News.