THE CRIMSON PLAYGOER

Tom Power's Wit and Old Fashioned Good Humor Predominate In His Own Comedy at the Copley

Expounding a simple, wholesome, somewhat sentimental philosophy of living at the expense of pseudo-aristocratic affectation, the versatile Tom Powers outdoes his justly famous efforts in "The Apple Cart" and "Strange Interlude" in his interpretation of the principle role in "Handy Man", a thoroughly enjoyable comedy of his own creation now playing at the Copley Theatre. Mr. Powers' charm results chiefly from his native naturalness and simplicity. One cannot help feeling that he is the same off the stage as on it; therein lies his appeal.

Sophistication takes a well-earned evening's rest. The blase affectations of the socially ambitions are held up to the scorching ridicule of Mr. Powers' homely eloquence until they are babbled to cringing subjection by his irrepressible tongue, reenforced with frequent inhibitions of well-spiked punch. He offers an injection of wholesome common sense and good-humored sentiment as a panacea "for what ails the damned theatre," as he quaintly phrases it.

Briefly summarized, the story is that Handy returns to his family incognito after years of wandering. Considered a ne'er de well before his departure, he made a fortune in oil during his wanderings, left it to his wife and two daughters and faded out of the scene, reputedly dead. He returns on the eve of an elaborate soiree by which the two daughters and the husband of one of them, Helford by name, hope to crash the local 400. Much to their alarm their mother, who makes no pretense of her humble origin, engages the genial old wanderer, unaware of his identity, to help her prepare for the affair. He proceeds to set the girls and the ridiculous Helford aright, and, to their horror, takes the party into his own hands, captivates the first socialite of the town and puts the force of evil to rout with interesting resist. The good old virtues of sincerity, kindness, and tolerance prevail, but near obtrude beyond the veil of genial, exless, humor.

The play begins rather slowly and the tendency to moralize is perhaps so apparent. But Tom Powers puts he show over with such refreshing naturalness and wit that one cannot help becoming enthusiastic over his worth, Helen Rag as Mrs. Mitchell, Francis Compton as the impossible Helford and Shepperd Strudwick rejoicing in the name of Prince Ivan Gregorievifel Sneojaganeenoff, head an able supporting cast.