Lining Them Up

Rughy Makes its Debut

Rugby is entering its second year of existence at Harvard. Saturday afternoon on Soldiers Field, between 700 and 800 shivering spectators watched the opening program of the season, given by the "Harvard University Rugby Club," under which title the organization is known, since the sport is not officially recognized by the Harvard Athletic Association. Probably the majority of the onlookers had no idea of what was going on, either about the actions of the players or the score of the game. By the second game, between Harvard and the Philadelphia Marines, however, at least the formula for adding up points was generally known, as well as the meaning of the terms "scrum" and "lineout." Also the fact that the Marines won from Harvard last year by 26 to 0 was loudly proclaimed by the backers of the Gold.

Some of the terms of rugby are similar to those of football, while others, with similar names, have special meanings. Below are listed definitions of the commoner terms of rugby lingo: a "fair-catch" is a catch made direct from a kick or throw forward (knock-on) by one of the opposing side. The catcher must immediately claim the same by making a mark with his heel at the spot where he made the catch. A "goal" is obtained by kicking the ball over the opponents' cross bar, from the field-of-play by any kick or drop kick except a kick-off or drop-out, without touching the ground or any player of either side. A "drop-kick" is a drop kick taken by the defending side after a touch-down or after the ball has been in touch-in-goal or has touched or crossed the dead ball line. A "free-kick" is a kick allowed for a fair-catch. The "mark" is the spot at which a free kick or penalty kick is awarded. "No-side" is the end of the game. A "scrummage," which can only take place on the field of play, is formed by one or more players from each side closing around the ball when it is on the ground, or by their closing up in readiness to allow the ball to be put on the ground between them. A "tackle" occurs when the holder of the ball in, the field-of-play is held by one or more players of the opposing side so that whilst he is held there is a moment when he cannot pass or play the ball. A "try," scoring three points, is obtained by the act of an attacking player who first puts his hand on the ball on the ground in his opponents' "in-goal," which is the territory behind the line of the goal posts. A "touch-down" is obtained by the act of a defending player who puts his hand on the ball on the ground in his own in-goal. Besides a try, points are scored in the following fashion: a goal from try (in which case the try shall not count), five points; a goal from a free kick or penalty, three points; a dropped goal otherwise obtained, four points.

Programme

A novel type of program was printed for the games, although the sheets, left beside the stands wrapped up in brown paper, were discovered by only a few. A piece of paper about six inches wide and two feet long had the title, "Harvard University Rugby Club," at the top. Below were the lineups for both games, and under them, about six inches of notes on the players, some of which follow:

Boston vs. Harvard: "Nearly every member of the recently-organized Boston Rugby Club's XV has had rugby experience in Scotland, Ireland, England, South Africa, or Canada. Messrs. H. Fisher and R. W. Adams of M. I. T. organized the team only a few weeks ago, however, and most of them are therefore short of practice. Ormsby last season was one of the New York Rugby Club's star players. Pearson has played for Trinity Hall, Cambridge University, and MacLagan for the well-known London Scottish Club in England."

Marines vs. Harvard: "Zimmerman, the Marines' fullback, scored 4 points against Harvard in 1930 by drop-kicking a field goal from 10 yards inside his own half of the field. Lieut. Moe, captain, is best known as a member of the 1928 California Olympic Champion crew. Two years ago Bauer was one of the star players of the Naval Academy's football squad, whilst a few years ago McCaffery was a sensational quarterback in Pacific Coast football, paying as a member of the Santa Clara University. Hughes is one of the team's best forwards.

"In 1930 the Marines defeated Harvard in Cambridge by 26 to nil. Since then the Marines have lost several players. Harvard on the other hand has shown remarkable improvement, especially in the back division. Mr. T. P. Fry, their coach, has had about 90 men available this season as against the 19 candidates in 1930." Then followed a personal and individual discussion of each of the regular Harvard players. BY TIME OUT.