BOOKENDS

TIME OUT, by Ronald Forman. The Macaulay Co., New York, 1931. $2.

HERE is another writer who professes to "expose" the evils of college football, this time at Harvard. At least, there is no other way of interpreting a mythical "Elite College," outside of Boston, with enough Harvard traditions thrown in to lend an air of truthfulness to the tale. Cambridge becomes "Oldston," The Yard becomes the "Campus," but the sacred Boston Symphony and a few Harvard courses (notably Music 4, which masquerades as "Harmonics 8"), retain their identities.

The first 174 pages of the story concern football. The hero, oddly enough, does not win the game by his prowess in the last minute. In Part 1 he is "Grist for the Mill"; in Part 2 he undergoes "Convalescence." The remainder of the book details his love for a student at the Conservatory in Boston, and his progress from divisional examinations to marriage.

If there is any need of exposing conditions in the past of Harvard football, "Time Out" supplies material for the blithest of muckrakers. In what year Mr. Forman played football "in a large university" we cannot determine; he is not listed, under that name, in the Harvard records. If there has been at Harvard "barbarism and brutality, the savage tyranny of coaches, frenzied methods of whipping up fighting spirit," Mr. Forman has exposed all this. But we seriously doubt the truth of his assertions. Neither do we believe for one moment that, as the publishers say, "Time Out" will be a sensation . . . because its sincerity and power put the seal of truth upon its revelations." Its picture is overdrawn, its ideas are nonentities, its style is trite. We are inclined to believe the author never attended Harvard. He should come today; Mr. DeVote would do him good.