THE CRIMSON PLAYGOER

"Looked Doors" a Good Play Ruined By Being Made Into a Movie--"Behind the Make-Up" Is Good

The program current at the University Theatre is a queer mixture of good and bad. The feature picture, "Looked Doors", is based upon a play by Channing Pollock, which if well directed and well acted would have made as fine a movie melodrama as one could ever hope to see. But in the transition from stage to screen, "Locked Doors" suffered a multitude of indignities, and now it appears as a movie, basically the same as the play, but still a very pale copy of the original.

As the Philandering son of a wealthy business man Rod La Rocque is just a trifle moist. As an exemplar of the fine art of seduction he leaves much to be desired, and the objects of his villiany, Barbara Stanwyck and Betty Bronson do not add anything in the way of merit to a thoroughly poor production. If Betty Bronson in particular could have forseen her future she would have stopped while the public was still applauding "Peter Pan".

But the other movie is a different story altogether. Although its title, "Behind the Make-Up" connotes mammy songs whispered in a choking voice and the other paraphernalia of "the-show-must-go-on" type of movie, yet this is a different kind of picture, and far above the average. It has become almost axiomatic that any film that William Powell turns his hand to is worth seeing, and the present opus is no exception. As usual he gives a polished performance, this time of a down and out actor who still has his ambitions of a great career, and comes within an ace of realizing them. Fay Wray and Hal Skelly are well cast and give thoroughly adequate and convincing performances, while the woman who proves the stumbling block to the actor's hopes of fame is played to perfection by Kay Francis.