BOOKENDS

INCENTIVES TO STUDY. A Survey of Student Opinion. By Arthur Beecher Crawford. Yale University Press, 1929 $5.00.

IN this book the Yale Department of Personal Study has embodied the results of its researches into the psychological and environmental factors which govern the attitude of the average undergraduate to study. The conclusions reached at the end of consideration of detailed data stress, among other things, the importance of purposefulness in the academic course of every student, and the harm done by the imposition of too many courses which are not of the student's own choosing.

The core of the volume is a Student Survey conducted by the Yale Student Council in 1926. It is the findings of this survey which supply the data for Mr. Crawford's treatment of the subject. The questionnaire employed by the Student Survey is printed in the back of the book, and seems to have emitted nothing which might help an intimate understanding of each individual.

There is no reason why anyone should be particularly interested in all this, except perhaps the rare undergraduate who worries about his disinclination to study. But the book is a technical study by and for student personnel workers, and to them it ought to bring material of some value.