The Student Vagabond

Now that the football season has been successfully launched once more, the Vagabond can devote himself to his duties with greater assurance. College seems to be existing in some sort of suspended animation until the band has blared the familiar marches through Harvard Square for the first time and the first October afternoon has been spent looking down on the struggling players and cavorting cheer leaders from a perch high up in the horseshoe. But with the opening Saturday once passed the vast conglomeration that is a university settles down into the rhythm than continues, save for a change of tempo with the seasonal variations, until June.

Perhaps the fact that college years begin in the fall has something to do with it too. The adjectives applied to autumn weather--crisp, brisk, stimulating--are always suggestive of activity. Who knows what the effect would be if the opening came during that first warm spell when spring fever is rampant? In the midst of February slush when even the boardwalks in the Yard are under water or during an ill-timed March blizzard the Vagabond may long for Palm Beach or Honolulu, but at the first touch of fall he is glad to be in New England. There has not been time for the dull courses to reveal themselves and exams in the hard ones seem far away. The refreshing tang of the first cool days has not yet lost its novelty.

And say! Have you seen the foliage in the Vermont maple woods this year?

So it is with a real zest for his work that the Vagabond anticipates attending the following lectures today and tomorrow.

TODAY

10 o'clock "Socrates", Professor R. H. Perry, Emerson D.

11 o'clock "Spain and the American Revolution", Professor Baxter, Harvard 1.

12 o'clock "The Romanticists and the Classicists", Professor Silz, Harvard 1. "The Principle of Work", Professor Black, Jef. Phys. Lab. 14.

TOMORROW

9 o'clock "Justice", Professor Holcombe, New Lecture Hall. "The Wanderings of Animals", Professor Barker, Geol. Lecture Room.

10 o'clock "Early Massachusetts Historians", Professor Murdock, Harvard 2.

11 o'clock "John Done", Professor Murdock, Sever 11.