In the Graduate Schools

Prizes Added for Most Effective Use of Display Line and Typography

Changes in the provisions and prizes of the Harvard Advertising Awards were announced Saturday at University Hall. Four new prizes have been added and two of last year's program have been discontinued.

A new prize of $1,000 will be offered next year for the advertisement most effective in its use of the display line. In addition there will be awards offered for the most effective use of text, of pictorial ilustration, and of typography. The award for the best advertising research has been discontinued because of the belief of the University authorities that this award had not been a stimulus for more effective research work. The prize for the best combination use of text and illustration has also been discontinued.

It is planned next year, according to Assistant Dean D. W. Malott '23 of the Business School through which the awards are administered, to publish the results of the awards, with appropriate comments by the Jury, in an effort to make these awards of further service to the advertising profession.

The following campaign awards of $2,000 each will be given: for a national campaign of a specific product; for a local campaign for a specific product or merchandise; for a general or institutional campaign; and for a campaign of industrial products.

In submitting material a brief will not be required, nor do the advertisements necessarly have to be mounted. A statement of 600 words giving pertinent facts concerning the campaign is the only necessary material to accompany advertisements themselves.

The awards were founded by Edward W. Bok in 1923. This year marks the fifth successive one for this series of prizes. Every season the interest in them has been growing steadily, and the exhibition put on this winter in the Brigg's baseball cage proved no exception. The prizes donated this year totalled over $14,000. Five awards of $2,000 each were given to business and advertising concerns from all over the country.